Dale's Fishing Reports

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Dale's Fishing Reports

Post by Ken G »

You guys only get to see what he chooses. There are times I send him a handful of email over the course of a week. They go from funny to introspective to stupid and beyond. Don't know why he puts up with it. :lol: :lol:

This week he picked the middle of the 3 below. Sometimes he'll combine them all. It's always entertaining to me to see which he goes with. I should start doing this every week. They get good at times. At least to me.
________

Anyone FIshing?

I know I haven't gone. Creeks are a mess and don't feel like dealing with the river yet. I have no doubt, as things settle down, high water approaches will become successful. I might have to give that a try later this week. I like to give it a few days to let the fish find a new normal.

A mile west of me is Hoover Forest Preserve. Spent a couple of hours Sunday morning wandering the square mile. Had the whole place to myself. Been laid off work for a couple of weeks, usually doesn't last long and you get used to it after many years of freelancing. But, 27 years in the graphics industry and I'm finding out I'm a dinosaur. For others out there, when an employment ad says they want 5 years of experience, 27 is not better and does not work in your favor. They are telling you they want someone 30 or under.

I was glad to have that square mile to myself that morning. My mood required the space, and then some.

Muddy Waters

Need some stomping Muddy Waters riffs going in the background for this one.

Didn't feel like hanging around the house. The day started nice and sunny. Picked the creek that had come down the most to go do some exploring. It was still up, but I've fished it at worse times. Covered from the mouth to about a quarter mile in. Clarity was about a foot, but the river was so far into the creek that it all but killed the current. I've done well in years past under these conditions, wasn't meant to be today.

Squeaked out 2 landed smallies and 2 missed ones for all the work put into it. The fish were definitely not in attack mode. All of them were hooked when I was half paying attention and just letting the lure hang and swim around. Didn't know a fish was even on till I tried to move the lure and felt the weight. One had some pretty good weight to it and I was much too slow on the hook set.

The river was even muddier and I didn't bother casting into it. Nothing more depressing to a river fisherman than looking at flowing mud. Considered stopping at a couple of places, but by then the wind gusts had given me a headache and I was done with it.

Monday's rain did nothing to the water levels. One more chance of rain on Friday that I don't think will amount to much, than a string of days in the 80's. This could be good as the water drops and the water temps go up. Fish have to eat at some point.

You Know

I was sitting here mulling over what longer thing to write about my little fishing trip today and I realized that the fishing reports I give you aren't really all that relevant to anyone but me. Granted, I don't know anyone that knows more of the river from Geneva down stream than me, but I hardly ever fish where I tell guys to go. I used to fish them a lot.

I fished the creek today. I'd rather fish creeks every day. What I would have been telling others would be to go fish tight to shorelines and look for current breaks out in the river. I can give them exact spots to fish all up and down the river right down to landmarks. The fish have to be there.

Yet, I didn't bother going. I'm basing that on the past.

I just wanted to be in the creek.

Even odder is that I get comments and thanks from guys that go where I tell them and they catch fish. There's a good chance I haven't fished the spot in years.

Not sure what to make of this. I guess the fish in a river never really do change their habits. And I guess fishing those spots over 100 times a year for as long as I have/did has to count for something. I think.

At least the fish are still in the usual spots, on a good day. Or so I'm told.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com