5/4/10 Fox River

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

5/4/10 Fox River

Post by Ken G »

There's nothing worse than getting out on the river and the conditions are perfect. Water level was good as well as the clarity. And not a single hit to show for it. Walked the stretch above Orchard Road. Normally a sure thing. Ran into a couple of guys as I got closer to the bridge. Told them to quit wasting time here and suggested down stream. Heard back later that it pretty much sucked there too.

That shouldn't have happened.

Luckily I entertained myself with the taking of a few pictures. That's all I had to show for the walk.

The overall clarity doesn't get much better than this.

Hard to see the water trickling through this beautiful little ravine. Sat on the tracks for a few minutes just to listen to the music of water over rocks.

These things have been here for years and that always makes me stop to look for some kind of picture.

Where the trickle of water meets the river I found this animal track. Considering that the helicopters, or whirly-birds as we called them as a kid, are about 2 inches long this track is almost 6 inches. Even if you allow for the mud, it's still a big print. There's nothing around here and I looked up animal tracks, so the chances of it being a dog are pretty slim. All the other prints were smeared in the mud. I know there are coyotes in the area, but the print seems big for that. Just don't know.

As I said, the fishing was non-existent. I blame these things. They were floating down the river by the thousands. The current seams and eddies were filled with them.

But then, it could just be some part of the spawning doldrums that shut things down.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com