Perusing info

To me the two go hand in hand. If we don't protect it today, we won't have it around tomorrow. There's a lot of help needed and issues that need attention. And why go to a grocery store when you can go right to the source.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Perusing info

Post by Ken G »

Once upon a time I used to be more involved with Fox River conservation issues.

Life getting in the way, I've let that slide over the past few years. Now I go out, take pictures and write a few disjointed paragraphs that I hope convey some of the beauty I run into in some of the out of the way places I explore. I guess I find that more of a contribution than the things I used to do.

But I was rummaging through an old link I had forgot about

www.americanrivers.org

and came across this. There were two in Illinois on Ferson Creek:

58 DAMS REMOVED OR SLATED TO BE REMOVED IN 2009

Unnamed Dam, Ferson Creek, IL: This Kane County dam, the first of two removals, was taken out in order to reconnect Ferson Creek to Fox River and improve the health of upstream fish and mussel communities, thus preventing further loss of species. The upper dam, which was built in the early 1900s, was 3.5 feet tall and 60 feet long and was removed in October. The removal of the upper and lower dams on Ferson Creek is expected to restore six river miles.
Contact: Ken Anderson, Kane County Department of Environmental Management, 630-208-3179, andersonken@co.kane.il.us.

Unnamed Dam, Ferson Creek, IL: This Kane County dam, the second of two dam removals, is being taken out in order to reconnect Ferson Creek to Fox River and improve the health of upstream fish and mussel communities, thus preventing further loss of species. The lower dam, built in the mid-1900s, is 1.5 feet tall and 45 feet long and is expected to be removed by the end of November. The removal of the upper and lower dams on Ferson Creek is expected to restore six river miles. Contact: Ken Anderson, Kane County Department of Environmental Management, 630-208-3179, andersonken@co.kane.il.us.
________

I should try to get in the habit of putting more of the stuff I come across up here. I tend to forget to do that.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com