Your Opinions Please

Like any other blog, random thoughts on random subjects. Might be interesting, or not. I probably won't be putting up much more here. I have other blogs. Only registered users can see this forum.

Should this site be open for anyone to come in and lurk, or only open to registered users?

Site open to anyone?
27%
Site open only to registered users?
73%

Total votes: 11

Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Your Opinions Please

Post by Ken G »

Since you guys have to put up with each other and the people who come here just to lurk, I thought I would get your opinions on how you want people to be able to access this site.

I'm leaning toward making everyone register again. Nobody will be able to access or see any of the subforums unless they are registered. After someone is registered, I don't care if they ever leave a post. They can just come in and read all they want. I've met quite a few guys that like to do just that. I don't have a problem with that. On my part I promise to never pull a Jungle Jim and harass people into posting. Unless they are participating, there's a good chance they would never hear from me.

The prevailing attitude on most fishing sites is to just let people lurk. No need to register.

So basically the question is should this place be open to anyone or only registered users?

Lemme know.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com

Re: Your Opinions Please

Post by Guest »

I think this site should be for registered users. Really if people are taking the time to troll around this site there must be something they like about it, or hate about it :lol: . And how hard is it to spend 2 minutes to sign up.

Registered users=new faces, more information, new fishing partners.

If it wasnt for this site do you think i would ever of had the pleasure of fishing with you Ken. Or Sam and Pez ever fishing together. And this list goes on.

This is just a fishing fraternity. A bunch of everyday joes with fishing in common.

Just my opinion, let the fraternity decide.
MattC

Post by MattC »

Ooops, want logged in. Didnt know you couple post as a guest.
You can never fish the same river twice, by the time you get back it's not the same river.
Matt
pezdek1
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Post by pezdek1 »

I agree. The access should be restricted to some extent. Too many weasels sneaking in to cause problems. I gave you my opinion in PM Ken, so I'll leave it at that :)
Rob P
Troublemaker

Post by Rob P »

Hey i didn't get to vote!

ATTICA ATTICA ATTICA!!!
(Sound of tin cup rattling on bars......)
See the world before its gone!
Dan
Asshole

Post by Dan »

I voted 4 lurkers. I think the people that never registered at a board and take in the info for what it's worth out weighs the 1 or 2 assholes just poking around. But on FHQ, we differect sections that only registered peeps can see:) My 0.02$
Ken G

Post by Ken G »

Dan wrote:I voted 4 lurkers. I think the people that never registered at a board and take in the info for what it's worth out weighs the 1 or 2 assholes just poking around. But on FHQ, we differect sections that only registered peeps can see:) My 0.02$
I thought of that too. I can change it at any time. I'll think about this one. Wouldn't be so bad if the one asshole wasn't also a stalker.

As for Attica, that happened before most of these guys were born. I think the reference is wasted. Sucks getting old. :( :(
Ken G
Rob P
Troublemaker

Post by Rob P »

:cry:
Oh well no good mockery goes unpunished!

I voted "open"

They'll get in regardless.
See the world before its gone!
AndrewR

Post by AndrewR »

I like the idea of "waterdog blog" and all of the reports being set private... This way if the lurkers aren't registered, you can still talk behind the scenes and cater it just to those who've put in the effort to being a part of the site. But everything else in general keep public.

I only started doing that at my place last fall when we had all sorts of people come in specifically to look for info on our DPR fall walleye run. Word traveled fast. Now you gotta be logged in to see reports.

My belief all the time is that's why lurkers come around to the sites in the first place - to freeload and snoop around. I know there's a better term than that but ultimately it is what it is.
Ken G

Post by Ken G »

Right now it's registered only. It's easy enough to change things.
I opened this back up to voting and comments. Yes Rob, I'm listening to you.

You're all making good comments. If I pick and choose subforums, that will be hard.

This whole site is just a multi tiered blog.

That was the whole point of it.

I'll decide next week, or not.
Ken G