4/11/10 Fox and Creeks

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

4/11/10 Fox and Creeks

Post by Ken G »

Friday I said this as a joke . . . Watch, the fish will disappear for the weekend.

By noon on Sunday, based on what I was seeing reported, the joke was becoming a reality. I must have put in the jinx.

Sorry about that.

So Sunday I had to go see if these rumors were correct. Started off in Batavia testing one of my high water shorelines.

After about 200 yards and one small hit in a stretch that normally I would catch 4 under similar conditions, severe boredom at fishing high water had settled in. I looked down stream for as far as I can see and figured, screw it, no more wasting my time.

Within a half hour I was on a creek. Almost got shagged off by a land owner, but after an intelligent conversation on river rights and showing what a nice guy I was, he gave me a pass. Got to the spot I wanted to fish only to find that a couple of kids had come in from a different direction. No one ever seems to fish beyond this one pool, I'm assuming because no one thinks the rest of the creek will hold fish. I turned and went back to my car. No point teaching others how to get around a pool and that yes, there are fish in the creek other than this one deep pool.

Fifteen minutes later and I'm in another creek. Third cast and I get a nice litlle smallie.

I hate when this happens. Can't stand to have my hopes up on what a great day of fishing it was going to be. Didn't have another hit in the creek for the next hour and a half.

So I wandered around aimlessly looking for nothing in particular. Luckily the flood plain in this area has been scrubbed pretty clean over the years. Makes the wander through the woods much less of a chore.

I plan on looking up all of these that are along creeks and become very good friends with all involved.

On the way out I have to pass a pond that feeds into the creek. Always stop to make a few casts. Today was a mixed bag of gill, green sunfish and big golden shiners, actually bigger than the other two species caught. Forgot to take a picture of it, but the gills were pretty aggressive in their eating habits.

All the other species of the creeks and rivers seem to be in spawning mode. Hog suckers, carp, river red horse and creek chubs are showing up every where. Wish I had the time to get out there everyday to watch this.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Special Ed
Poop Ninja
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Re: 4/11/10 Fox and Creeks

Post by Special Ed »

Great pics again Ken. I made it a point to scroll through this post through my lunch break. Some good vibes and tranquility was needed after the morning I had.

Some real warm weather is on it's way, so I wouldn't be surprised if things turn back around quickly.

My side-kick extraordinaire is tugging at my pant leg about BIg Rock. :geek: So I'm thinking a pre-fish near the Oswego stretch may be needed to crack the mildew off the waders. This weekend I hope....... wind be damned.