Fishing Prospects into April

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Fishing Prospects into April

Post by Ken G »

The more I thought about it, the more I added. Pictures from the past to prove a point too.

I'm going to make this stick to the top and just keep adding to it till the end of April. Then I'll start one for May into June and on and on.

I'm going to be hitting the creeks soon.

I like to see what the fish are up to and compare one year to another.

Was looking at old posts and pictures over the weekend. Warm weather will bring smallies into the creeks from now to mid April. Then they'll move out to let all the carp species and suckers go absolutely nuts with their spawning routines. The smallies basically get out of the way. By May 15th carp and suckers are pretty much gone and the smallies will travel farther up stream. On the one creek I've been hitting I'm catching them by the end of May about 9 miles up from the Fox.

Came across these pictures from about 7 years ago. Had a pretty nice warm spring that year and was hitting the creeks pretty good for the second and third weeks of April.

They were going pretty far up the creek by then too.

As for the spawning smallie debate, I ignore it. After 14 years of hitting creeks in that time frame I have seen no impact what so ever.

Think about it, I'm 9 miles up a creek and I catch a few fish. I have had no impact on all those other virtually untouched fish in those other 9 miles or the many miles further up stream. On the Fox itself, let's say you fish a spot in Batavia, catch a half dozen fish or so in a quarter of a mile stretch. That leaves over 50 miles more for fish to spawn in. Probably 95 percent of it never seeing an angler. Not just during the spawn, ever.

Let's say you do fish a spot in Batavia, catch a half dozen fish or so in a quarter of a mile stretch. So what. Years ago I fished Rock Creek on the Kankakee at what must have been the height of the spawn. From the small waterfall down stream to the bridge I must have easily seen a thousand smallies. An amazing sight to see. Just milling about the creek. I caught 35 of them. And that was a struggle even with leeches. So how many fish are in that quarter mile stretch where you picked up a half dozen. How many have completely ignored your existence and anything you're doing.

No matter what creek I go to and how much pressure it supposedly gets, when I go back in mid June or a little later, I see clouds of bass fry in the shallows. That speaks for itself.

Depending on temperatures and water levels, the bite on the Fox could become more active by this weekend. Again, my records show that after early spring warm ups, things were going pretty well in North Aurora and the Les Arends stretch south of Batavia. My records show I was out years ago the third week of March. I combed the Les Arends Forest Preserve for 4 hours and had only two fish to show for it. But they were both 18 inch smallies.

Found this picture of someone I had out guiding on April 19 of '04. You can see what I mean about how things are all temperature driven by the way he's dressed. This one is from the Glenwood Forest Preserve area, just up stream and on the other side from Les Arends.

The third week of April and things were still looking good at Les Arends.

North Aurora was always one of my early spring spots as I mentioned. This shot was taken on April 3rd years ago. I have a bunch of other shots from that day with Steve Jung, but this was the biggest of the day.

I apparently went back there two weeks later that same year and the fish were still hitting pretty good.

North Aurora all the way down to practically Aurora has always been one of the stretches where I catch the biggest walleye. Not sure why, just is. Was out on April 16, "03. When I caught this. I had a choice. Hand a total stranger a $500 camera set up to take a picture of me holding a fish, or hand the fish to a total stranger.

I stopped giving my on the water fishing classes on the Fox about 5 years ago. Back then I would teach anglers different stretches of the river. Each month a different location. The location was picked based on my own success in each area for that specific time of year. By mid April I would have my first class of the year in Geneva. We would cover from the Route 38 bridge all the way down and past the treatment plant on the east side.

I don't ever recall being skunked that time of year. The way it was fished depended on water levels. If the water was down, we would primarily fish the west side where the shore structure is pretty good and the main river channel is about 40 feet out from that shore. Smallies and white bass were the primary fish active then.

One year in April the water was relatively low, nice out, and I was wading the east side along the island park. I came across a kid that had hooked a muskie, in knee deep water. There was no way the thing was going to survive if he just dropped it off the wall back into the shallow water. So after a quick picture, I helped revive it and send it on its way.

At high water in Geneva in April, the best bet is to just walk the wall all the way from Route 38 to the railroad tracks. The old limestone wall has lots of nooks and crannies so you need to get your lure within inches of the wall. Bumping it off the wall is even better and work it from the top to the bottom.

From the railroad tracks down past the treatment plant is more of a challenge. But it's worth the effort to scramble all over the rocks and dabbling a line behind any thing that is breaking the current. No rock is too small. At the end of this stretch the river swings out back to the middle. Along that shore is a big gravel bar. Even at high water it's not impossible to stand on it. Fish the hell out of it just below the gravel, from out into the river and all the way back to shore. Very nice undercut bank along there.

And then there's the west side from the tracks to this little ditch. Structure heaven with rocks all over the place. Beyond that you start getting into the pool of the Batavia dam. So I never ventured down. But, further down stream at Fabyan Forest Preserve, on the west side, is another island park held back by another limestone wall. Fish it the same way as the island park off Route 38. I tried to make it across the river here once and gave up. Made me a bit nervous, which is rare.

There's a very good chance that this same pattern holds for March, but my notes don't show that I ever went there to try it. I was busy at Les Arends and hanging around creek mouths. Only one way to find out, someone go try it and get back to me.

I'll be busy in a couple of creeks.

The problem this year has been the water levels. If you're not comfortable wading, the water has been higher than normal for quite some time. Normal is around 750 cubic feet per second. If my record keeping is correct, it has only gone down to that level twice, and for a very brief period of time, in around 2 years now. It has consistently stayed above the 1200 cfs level for most of that time. I have never seen such sustained higher water readings on the Fox for the 14 years I've been fishing it. Too bad it didn't behave this way the year I opened my canoe shop in 2005. That year it dropped to 150 cfs, the lowest level on record. I might still have the shop open.

This year there was virtually no ice on most of the river. The river was up and flowing too high for the ice to form. I've been in some stretches in Montgomery past winters where there was about a 50 foot wide open channel and the rest was pretty well frozen. This year it was open in Montgomery from shore to shore.

In the past during the winter you would be lucky to see the river flowing above 500 cfs. Right now it is flowing at 1470 cfs. I have not seen it go below 1200 cfs all winter, and I check daily.

Will this warmer weather turn on the fishing? Maybe. They can still be caught regardless, if you're patient.

I have 5 creeks I want to monitor, maybe 6. I can't get to all of them in such a short time frame. For me, I'll have to play favorites. If the fish are starting to move in, great. If not, then I'm sure I'll either learn something or have a wonderful day doing the type of exploring I love the most.

Can you tell I'm getting just a little buggy to get out more.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Ken G

Re: 3/13/10 Weekend Prospects and Beyond

Post by Ken G »

I was just re-reading and thinking about what I wrote, it's just the tip of the iceberg. I can add so much more, and that will barely get me into May. And barely through down to Indian Trail Road. Then there's all the other stretches of river I know and have fished this time of year. Then there's all the other seasons.

I guess if you go back through all my old stuff you get a lot of that.

My goal all along was to mix the stories in with all the details of actual fishing spots. Throw in some exploring with some conservation issues maybe.

Over the winter I was going over maps looking at the amount of river and creeks that I covered. Pretty substantial. Then I started mapping out all the areas I still haven't got to, even more substantial. If anyone else has covered that much of the river, 90 percent of it wading and wandering around it's woods, I don't know about them. Who the hell else is going to find that one deep long run on the east side of an island half way between Oswego and Orchard Road? And catch fish out of it.

That has to have some kind of value to someone other than me. Even if all they do is read about it. When it comes right down to it, I'm going to be out there doing what I do regardless. It's like I have no choice.

There has to be a more coherent way of doing this. Break it down into sections or by seasons or some combination of both. Maybe one for each season broken down into sections of the river. On paper. With maps. I think being able to sit with something in your lap, mark spots on the maps, bookmark pages to go back and re-read is a much better way of doing it than continuously documenting it all here. Too hard to go back to something else. The reference will be lost.

I always imagined a coffee table type book, or a big paperback like the Illinois Gazatteer that you can just leave in your car and mark the hell out of.

I need a year, maybe two, and someone to pay my bills. :D :D

Then there's the book about the creeks.
Ken G
BrandonL.

Post by BrandonL. »

I actually posted the original thread on the windy city forum about the creek wading (you have the same response in both that and your own forum so im assuming that is what this post is stemmed from???). I should have known that your response would have been the one worth reading.....i dont know why i just didnt post over here on your forum to begin with. I find your responses to be always well informed and thought out.

Im heading out to the Fox tomorrow. Coming from the northside of chicago makes driving out to the kankakee river a little bit of a haul compared to the fox (even tho its still a good 45 minute drive). I guess im just more confident on that river anyhow. I plan on hitting some of the creeks as well just to explore and see what happens. Thanks again for all your insight Ken, reading through old posts has turned me on to all sorts of random insight. Its well appreciated!

Its weird tho, I rarely post anywhere and when i do it takes me so long due to trying to edit it down so im not rambling. Its funny how face to face i can B.S. with anyone and get along smashingly with any person i run into. On the internet however i cant articulate what im trying to say ever and seem to come across as a bumbling idiot. sigh.......technology......Im simply writing all of this because before i read this post i was reading about yours and other peoples gripes about people hovering around in forums and not contributing. Just thought id throw out my "voice" so i dont come across as a lurker.

thanks again!
Ken G

Post by Ken G »

It was that response on WCF that got this one going. That's why I like going there and chitown. Questions spark answers that allow me to ramble on about nothing for many paragraphs. At least on my site no one can edit me. :D :D

The Fox shot up to around 3400 cfs, which means don't go in the water. If the fish are biting, they'll be pushed pretty tight to shore anyway. The creeks are usually not as bad, but they might be muddy and you won't be able to see the bottom. The ones I hit I've hit when they're flooded up to a point. I know the limits.

Lastly, you've gone through my stuff and don't think I come across like a bumbling idiot? I like you already.

I don't mind the registered lurkers. There are a number of ones that do that. It's those guest lurkers who seem to be monitoring every post that's made that are just looking for issues. One guy in particular probably cuts and pastes things from here so he can make fun of it in a couple of hidden spots on another site. Found that out when someone slipped up and made a comment before he caught it and moved it. This after he has gone out of his way in the last couple of weeks tracking down IP addresses of people he screws with so he can block them from the boring crap he's doing. Whatcha gonna do. The guys a loser and doesn't even realize that people he knows don't like him.

Lurk away. If the mud isn't up to my knees over the weekend, me and my daughter will be out explorin a creek over the weekend.
Ken G
Ken G

Re: Fishing Prospects into April

Post by Ken G »

The 10 day weather forecast shows that after this weekend, the rainy pattern is going to shift to the middle of the week. Rare that it happens, but kind of expected after this kind of long spell of dry weather. 2 weeks is long in the spring.

Would be nice if this holds up. Nice for those of us that only have the weekends off. :D :D
Ken G