11/7/09 Fox Crap Plant

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

11/7/09 Fox Crap Plant

Post by Ken G »

I had slept like shit the night before heading out hunting. After walking a few miles carrying a gun, then coming home to chop wood, by the time Di was leaving for work and I decided to go fishing, I was exhausted. But I was also determined to get out fishing. I had to. It was the perfect day.

Ideally I would have liked to go to North Aurora. It's the only dam I'll fish near and I'll only do it in the fall. When the conditions are good, the fishing is good.

But things were hardly ideal. The river was up, muddy a flowing a little fast. I opted for the crap plant where I would at least be able to fish some clearer water.

I got in the river a couple hundred feet down from the start of the outflow. I decided to fish downstream first, giving the sun a chance to get lower in the sky before hitting the start of the outflow.

I quickly got a couple of hits and missed a couple of fish. Another 100 feet down stream I got a hard hit, a tug hard enough to feel the weight of a nice fish and to make my drag hum and then nothing. It was going to be another one of those days like I've been having all year. Lots of missed fish, especially the big ones. This day was disheartening because I may not get out much more. I headed for the source of the flow.

At the source I quickly picked up 3 fish and then the bite died.

This happens here when the skies are so clear. The fish seem to like the overcast days better, or when the light is not so bright in general. With some daylight left I headed back down stream.

Missed another small fish back where I had started. When I got about 50 feet past where I lost the heavy fish I got a hard hit and set the hook good. All hell broke loose. I knew I hooked it good and was not going to lose it. Even thought the current wasn't that strong, the fish made hard downstream runs that got my drag humming. I knew it was just a matter of playing it out.

I brought to hand what turned out to be a 16 inch smallie.

If the good weather and my time don't coincide, this could be my last fish of the year. Not only a nice way to end the day, but also the year.

I made a few more casts, but it was now just dark enough that I couldn't see where my lure was landing. A slight haze was coming off the field to the west. Someone downstream was burning leaves and a trail of smoke was lazily making it's way upstream. Perfect time to call it quits.

I hopped up on shore and started hiking through the tall grass. While in the water my legs felt pretty good. But now on shore with the heavy water soaked boots my legs were starting to feel the burn. The last stretch is up a hill, usually no big deal. But my legs were on fire at this point and every step hurt.

By the time I got to the top of the hill I was panting a couldn't catch my breath. I could barely feel my legs except for what felt like needles poking through them. Not being able to catch my breath is extremely unusual for me. Pretty much never happens. Back at the car I quickly sucked down a half quart of water and sat still for a couple of minutes. I quickly went back to normal. I guess I was more tired than I thought and had pushed myself just a little to hard all day.

Felt kind of good.

I'm sitting here now typing up these stories as a way to keep myself awake. If I relaxed in a chair or propped myself up in bed I would pass out immediately. It was too early for that. No matter how tired I get it's rare that I sleep more than 6 hours. Been that way my whole life. I guess there's just too much on any given day to see and do. Why waste away the day sleeping.

If I had the time, I'd do it all over again tomorrow.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Darth

Re: 11/7/09 Fox Crap Plant

Post by Darth »

Phenomenal=)

I know exactly what you mean too...so many potential posts have gone unwritten because I sat down on the couch instead and just fell asleep.

Got a folder full of pictures I try to avoid so as not to remind me of my laziness=)
Special Ed
Poop Ninja
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Post by Special Ed »

Nice river smallie Ken, minnows?

I thought about hitting this early Sunday morning, but with the water coming down and seeing as how it got slammed by me and you this week, I will give it awhile before I head back.

I'll lay the poles down for the rest of the weekend, wouldn't want to mess with karma. ;)

Still looking for my first 17+ inch walleye from the river (or anywhere for that matter) this year. Downtown Batavia and the area surrounding seems to be heavy with smallies still, with the occasional spaztic short walleye here and there.

I might give the rivers a rest this week, I'm thinking the warm-up has delayed the seasonal migration somewhat......
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

I just re-read these things. I was tired. I'm fighting the urge to go back and fix a couple of sentences, spell check it, things like that. Wondering if I should have taken that nap. Maybe fixing posts will give me something to do over the winter.

Just like I thought, 6 hours sleep last night. Go figure.

With the sun going down I could only go so far. Thought of hitting Orchard Road, but I wanted a sure thing. Didn't feel like struggling to catch a fish. At least at the plant I knew I would get at least one.

You guys have worn a pretty good path along the fence. :D :D
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
AndrewR

Post by AndrewR »

Special Ed wrote: I might give the rivers a rest this week, I'm thinking the warm-up has delayed the seasonal migration somewhat......
Majorly delayed.... I will give you permission to ditch us on Thursday night for Walleye League, but you gotta show up on Sunday night for the rodeo.

Water temps 56 on the DPR today. Was at 55 on Sunday afternoon, and 52.5 on Saturday. :x
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

KenG wrote:You guys have worn a pretty good path along the fence. :D :D
lol Ken, I think it's just me!

AndrewR wrote:Majorly delayed.... I will give you permission to ditch us on Thursday night for Walleye League, but you gotta show up on Sunday night for the rodeo.
I'll take you up on that, and instead will report on the delicacies and frosty goodness flowing from the spouts at the old Bristol Tap.

I'm still bringing the grill and J-villes Sunday. No beer though eh? Brats without beer is like sex without penetration. Does it even count?
twade

Post by twade »

[quote="Special Ed] Brats without beer is like sex without penetration. Does it even count?[/quote]

You mean your suspose to.. but .. I am confused. :)

rodeo? Andrew I neglect your site more than I should.

Hijacked, sorry Ken. And yeah i think that path is only from Ed. I followed that only once ... so far.
AndrewR

Post by AndrewR »

I mean, we're gonna be fishing behind a police station.... Drink at your own risk then.
Special Ed
Poop Ninja

Post by Special Ed »

AndrewR wrote:I mean, we're gonna be fishing behind a police station.... Drink at your own risk then.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Well, I'll bring enough for them too. :lol: