8/4/09 Fox River Saw-wee-kee

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

8/4/09 Fox River Saw-wee-kee

Post by Ken G »

Got out tonight for an hour and a half and hit a three quarter mile stretch down stream from the Saw-Wee-Kee canoe launch on the outskirts of Oswego. I haven't done that stretch in around 6 years. Picked up about a dozen smallies and missed quite a few more.

Right off the launch, still more deer crossing the river. A few seem to like to live on the islands during the day and return to shore toward evening. I've been seeing this a lot lately.

Even though I could see in the distance that someone was tearing apart the shore years ago, I never went to look at it. Not sure I understand why a shore line has to look like a suburban yard, manicured right up to the edge. But then I don't have tons of money to piss away. I haven't checked on aerial maps, but Denny Hastert and his then chief of staff live on this shore. Would be funny if he's the one that destroyed a natural shore line.

The last time I fished this stretch, the tree on the left may have very well saved me from getting hit by lightning. It was hitting on the island. I got stuck here when I was caught by surprise by one hell of a storm. I fished that eddy while it was storming years ago and caught some smallies. Caught a couple today too.

As much as I hate the destruction of natural shores, at least this owner made some pretty good fish holding structure.

I like taking pictures of dink smallies at arms length. I know I've said that I do that to show where the fish was caught. All you have to do is look past the fish. I could tell anglers till I'm blue in the face what type of water and structure are holding the fish, but a picture pretty much says it all.

Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com