7/12/09 Fox River Montgomery

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

7/12/09 Fox River Montgomery

Post by Ken G »

First off, the fishing sucked. Matt did tie into a catfish early on. Tim showed up and got a smallie and a drum and I eventually tied into a smallie.

And that was that.

The rest of the time I was looking for things I took pictures of in 2004 and 2005, pretty much the last time I fished this stretch.

I'll try to fill in some blanks later, it was still a pretty nice day to be out there. If I don't fill in the blanks, I've been pretty busy and it will just have to go on the back burner.

Pat attention to the sequence. These were taken in October 2004 when the undergrowth had already started dying off.

These next shots were taken in August 2005. By then we were well into the driest year in recorded history. That's why I picked that year to open my canoe shop in Montgomery. I know how to plan, I tell ya.

And this is what the house looked like on Sunday. This is one of the wettest years in a very long time and the growth shows it. If you really look, you'll see the wood of the house under there somewhere.

This is the oddest looking tree and I still didn't get the pictures the way I wanted. I'll have to go back. Basically it's like 3 feet of the island has washed out from under it and this thing is perched up on it's roots. The first time I took a picture (above) it was 2004. We've had some pretty major water events in the last 2 years and I'm surprised they had no effect at all on this tree.

Did get to see a couple of the kayaks I sold when I closed my shop wander by.

And Mark (Catman) stopped by in his big jon boat with the jet motor on the back.

My wife and kids give me a hard time that we can't go anywhere without me running into someone I know or that knows me.

I guess that includes while standing in the middle of the river.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
MattC

Re: 7/12/09 Fox River Montgomery

Post by MattC »

Ken forgot to mention that the pictures of the house (or shack) and car were taken on an island. How did they get there? Ken was telling me that back before alot of the crap plants (they contribute to alot of the water flow in the river) the river would run a lot lower and people could actually drive across the river. By looking at the car, cant tell the make but i would think that its from the 30's or 40's. That car and house have probably been sitting there for more than half a century.
You can never fish the same river twice, by the time you get back it's not the same river.
Matt