4/26/09 Fox River Weekend Prospects

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

4/26/09 Fox River Weekend Prospects

Post by Ken G »

In spite of the rain we got over the last few days, the Fox River didn't really jump up much. As of writing this on Tuesday afternoon, it has already leveled off at about 2600 cfs and is showing signs of heading down. Not sure how much it will come down since Wisconsin seems to have got a fair amount of rain and all that water has to come this way. The best bet is to check the river gauges on Friday and let that determine where to go on the rest of the weekend.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/il/nwis/uv?dd ... o=05551540

Knowledgeable waders will be able to start making tentative forays out into the river, I think. As always with high water, fish the edges and look for well defined current breaks. What species you're fishing for won't really matter. They'll all be in relatively the same spots throughout any given day. They are all becoming active and they really don't have any place else to go.

As for locations, Geneva from the dam down to the railroad tracks would be good. In Batavia, the east shore from Glenwood Forest Preserve as far south as you feel like walking might be worth while. There is one area around the former archery range between the shore and a large island that should be wadeable no matter what the water level is.

North Aurora is always worth it this time of year. The more adventurous may want to try the winding channels along the meat packing plant as you head for I-88.

Indian Trail would be worth some time spent. This is a hard one to describe short of book length, which I've been working on for years. If you know it, you know where to go. If you don't, be careful.

The stretch between Montgomery and Oswego can really get you in trouble if you're not careful. Some odd pockets of deeper water, but that is also what makes them worth fishing. I've always found that the west side of the river in this stretch is the best, but it's also the harder side to access since there is more private property.

Orchard Road. Upstream on the south end to the end of the island. Downstream all the way to Saw wee kee Park. There are a few spots downstream out in the middle you have to watch for, but this is overall a pretty shallow stretch of the river. The shore lines, especially on the south can be pretty good. If you're feeling daring, when you come to the islands, the best fishing is in that north channel. Some spots with the water at this level push hard and get a little deep, but it's not impossible. The highest the water has been in this area and I've survived is 2200 cfs. There was one part I did not like at all, but I was being stupid. Which I guess goes without saying if you're wading across rivers when they're flowing at 2200 cfs.

Below Yorkville down through Millbrook I wouldn't eve attempt right now. I'm still exploring this stretch and it's been one surprise after another.

As for creeks, I would hit Somonauk above Lake Holiday. Something has to be moving in there by now. Below the lake too should be good. Above and below Shabonna Lake in Indian Creek would be worth the effort for anyone willing to go that far out.

As for me, I've been hitting creeks just about every weekend for over a month. It's been uneventful so far, but I'm doing my own little research that isn't worth anything to anyone but me. I want to see how soon and how far up I catch my first smallie of the year out of certain creeks. This weekend should be bringing a few of them up. I'm going to try to do two creeks on Sunday afternoon, but one of them is somewhat of a death march and the other is too beautiful to walk away from in order to torture myself on a death march.

Once upon a time I had all the time in the world and debating on where to go wasn't an issue. Now, like many, my time is much more limited. Makes the decision process much more difficult.

One of the best things you can do is look through old posts on my site for the same time periods in years past. You'll be surprised at how things don't really change much from year-to-year.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Ken G

Re: 4/26/09 Fox River Weekend Prospects

Post by Ken G »

The Apple River saw virtually none of this rain and is in absolutely perfect condition.

If I only had the time.
Ken G
MattC

Post by MattC »

Ken G wrote:The Apple River saw virtually none of this rain and is in absolutely perfect condition.

If I only had the time.
Yeah i know, i've been checking the Apple frequently and have been wishing i lived closer :cry: . End of May the 30th and 31st im thinking of heading up there. Its my brothers birthday so i said what an excuse for a camping trip. Its not for sure but ANYONE is willing to join ;) ;)
You can never fish the same river twice, by the time you get back it's not the same river.
Matt
Dan
Asshole
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Post by Dan »

Is there a FHQ outing there that weekend??
MattC

Post by MattC »

Dan wrote:Is there a FHQ outing there that weekend??
Yes, No, Maybe, thats the date Andrew was talking about. Either way im pretty sure thats when i am going to go. What do you think, good date for you Dan..............and Ken ;) ;)
You can never fish the same river twice, by the time you get back it's not the same river.
Matt
Ken G

Post by Ken G »

I've told you never count on me for anything. ;)

Make sure you go to this link:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=277

Go to the Hunter Fact sheets and you want to get the map for the Salem and Thompson Unit.
I'll fill you in with more details when you're ready to go.
That is an excellent time. Can't beat May into June.

Make sure you use spinning gear. Bring some small jigs so you can catch creek chubs in the riffles. Then take them, put them on a big hook and throw them into the deep holes you're going to come across. They are so deep you can't see the bottom, and it's crystal clear. I've had fish on that I couldn't get up off the bottom. More later.
Ken G
MattC

Post by MattC »

Last year when when the groups split up to fish different areas i brought Andrew to the Thompson Unit. I had been reading your posts from chitown and printed the Thompson/Salem unit map and got in at the Townsend Rd. Bridge and waded to the next bridge. What beauty :shock: . Cant wait to get back and fish that same stretch but i also want to fish the Salem unit. I assume you access from the N. Scout Camp Rd. bridge but where do you get out?

Also i think i remember you saying something about where you camped and it wasnt in the State Park.
Matt
Dan
Asshole

Post by Dan »

I'm good any weekend just need a few week heads up:)
Dan
Asshole

Post by Dan »

Ken, Do you think thats to far of a ride for a day trip?
AndrewR

Post by AndrewR »

My month of May is an entire cluster-f_ck!!!!!

If I'm not fishing in WI, the weekend of the 30th/31st would be the only time I could go.
But if not that, the first weekend of June would be do-able, but kinda late.

Either way, if I can't go, then I can't go. Go ahead without me because I wouldn't want to hold anyone back from going. We can always schedule other times like how we did it last September.