4/11/09 Fox Creek and Pond

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

4/11/09 Fox Creek and Pond

Post by Ken G »

I didn't think I was going to go out fishing, but my wife had to work an abbreviated second shift so from 4 P.M. on, I had nothing else I felt like doing. Wasn't really sure where I was going to go when I headed out. I just started heading west, then north, mentally deciding as I went. Since it was getting late I decided against Somonauk above Lake Holiday. Little Rock further north was out, too much hiking and bush whacking where I wanted to go. Besides, there wouldn't be any fish there yet. Most of Big Rock was out for the same reason I didn't go to Little Rock. But Big Rock had ponds next to it, if you know how to get to them, and I wanted to catch something.

Just as expected, the creek is still devoid of fish. Another couple of weeks should make a difference and by mid-May, you would be foolish not to pick one and give it a try. I'm in the process of planning an outing the second weekend in May down to the Middle Fork of the Vermilion River where it flows through Kickapoo State Park. Since my daughter is going to school at U. of I., it's only 20 miles away and that time of year, it should be good.

Didn't do any real sight seeing this time since I really wanted to go catch a few fish out of the pond. Of course I had to fish my way down the creek anyway, it's the only way to the pond so may as well hit all the likely eddies.

As I rounded the bend in the creek I spooked an eagle out of a tree less than 100 feet from me. I hadn't seen the eagles for awhile and there has been speculation that they would leave the area. The nest they had built along Big Rock Creek not far from the Fox River had collapsed a couple of months ago and there has been no sign of it being rebuilt. I was a good mile and a half up from the creek mouth and seeing the eagle this far up was a treat.

I'm sure for those of us that have had the opportunity to see eagles we probably have all commented on what majestic, beautiful birds they are. It's an almost indescribable event when you spook one out of a tree, it swoops down low toward you, then banks off and up to tree top level and disappears down a creek. I looked through the nearby trees for signs of a nest, but found none. I have a feeling if I wandered further down stream, I just may find it. This would have to be done before the leaves come out. Which means I would have to do this soon, we'll see.

Headed over to the pond and picked up 4 different species of fish. 3 different species came in 3 casts in a row. A largemouth, crappie and a bluegill. Picked up a green sunfish too.

I think I'm going to take pictures like this of all the fish I catch this year. Didn't bother with the green sunfish. I've seen pretty ones, but this wasn't one of those.

I was done here and headed out. It was still light out as I got near the mouth of Big Rock creek, the parking lot was empty, so I figured I may as well fish it. If there is so much as one other car around, I don't bother anymore. Started where Big and Little Rock Creeks come together and fished my way down the east shore. Wading was out of the question, the Fox was a little high and pushed the water level in this stretch to an uncomfortable wading level.

At the mouth while standing amidst the garbage left by the armies of fishermen that like to camp out along the shore, I got stuck in the mud twice. Thought for sure I was going to have to abandon my boots in order to get out of the thick mud. Nothing was biting, boredom was setting in and I was tired of looking at garbage.

There's a good chance I'll never fish that stretch again, ever.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com