Fox and other weekend prospects for 9-19-08

From the Wisconsin border to the Illinois River, some of the best and easily accessible fishing in the Chicago area.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Fox and other weekend prospects for 9-19-08

Post by Ken G »

The Fox River, right now, is flowing at 3530 cfs. That's just amazing considering it topped out at almost 20,000 cfs just 5 days ago. The last few days it's been dropping more than 1,000 cfs a day, but that won't be enough to make it wadeable for the weekend. You might be able to wander around in the edges if you know the where the edges are. If not, better to fish from shore and just do the usual high water techniques.

Here's a shot from Hudson Crossing Park in Oswego from last Sunday. The river is back in it's banks now.

The creeks that are feeding into the Fox are all coming down nicely and should all be just a little high for the weekend, maybe a little murky, but quite fishable. My favorite creek under conditions like this has always been Mill Creek. If you go, try to get to the knee dam and then keep hiking for a good quarter mile after that. You never know.

Here's what Wabonsie Creek in Oswego looked like last Sunday. Stopped by to look at it last night. Definitely doesn't look like this and over the weekend it should be in great shape.

The Kankakee was described on the news this morning as dangerously high. At 25,400 cfs, I would tend to agree. You might be able to fish a creek, but it's a real crap shoot. They seemed to have got more water down that way.

Of course, my pick of the week is once again the Apple River. Going by the gauge, it's in perfect condition. This time of year you may not catch record numbers of fish, but it's going to stunningly beautiful.

Sorry I don't report on the other rivers in the area, really don't care about them much.

Unless they have creeks attached to them. One of these days I'll get to them.

Here's a couple of images I found from almost exactly one year ago. The Fox almost got to where it did last week.

Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com