Updates on "The League"

Like any other blog, random thoughts on random subjects. Might be interesting, or not. I probably won't be putting up much more here. I have other blogs. Only registered users can see this forum.
Special Ed
Poop Ninja
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Updates on "The League"

Post by Special Ed »

You guys can keep current on what is going on week to week with "The Fall Walleye League" right here at:

http://4seasonangler.wordpress.com/local-hot-spots/

I'll likely be updating Dale Bowman on our progress as well. Maybe Ken can chime in at some point and let me know what we are doing wrong.... :lol:
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Re: Updates on "The League"

Post by Ken G »

For starters, you're fishing at night. A complete waste of time. Walleye can be caught at anytime. This is out of a creek in broad daylight.

Look through these pictures and look for other pictures of walleye in the gallery. You'll notice none of them were taken at night.

http://wadauwant.com/fishing_and_outdoo ... 20pg9.html

This is the right time of year though.

Where you were, you were also in the wrong place. You should have been between the South Elgin dam and the bridge, then a little down from the bridge. Between the dam and the bridge, on the east side you should see a weeping willow tree if it's still there. 30 to 40 feet out starting at that tree is a channel. It starts out very narrow and widens as it heads for the bridge. Fish there.

For your future adventures, St. Charles from the dam down on the west side. But I would just skip St. Charles all together.

Geneva from the dam all along the west side down to the tracks, then fish the hell out of that whole pool in front of and under the railroad tracks.

Batavia you could fish in town, but I would head behind Funway and fish around there. Then skip down stream till you get to the bluffs. From where the islands end and the pool near the bluffs begin, verified rumors of 14 pound walleye exist.

North Aurora from the dam down to under I-88. You'll figure out the deeper spots.

Indian Trail, east side from the bridge to the end of the water plant.

Aurora, west side. You'll figure it out.

Montgomery, doesn't matter. They used to be everywhere. Railroad tracks by the treatment plant. That whole big pool upstream of the tracks, from one side to the other. Just don't try to walk under the tracks on the west side. You won't make it, but you do want to fish it. Then go down to the flats down from the treatment plant. That big pool from the island to the power line. The whole thing. The east side is deep so be careful.

Down from there all the way to Yorkville, don't bother. Never caught a walleye from Oswego down and I've fished the hell out of it.

Yorkville, from the dam down past 47 to the first island just down from the mouth of Blackberry Creek. Anywhere in there. Go slow.

Mouth of Big Rock. Best spot is the other side. They like to sit in the lift at the end of the pool.

Down from there you're on your own. Unless you can figure out how to get to the old Millhurst dam. 8-)

That will cost you cash dollar bills. :P

Last 3 hours of daylight, first hour of dark if you must. Then go home.

But then the mornings are pretty good and I've always done well smack dab in the middle of the day.

They live on the bottom, fish the bottom. Light line, small octopus hook, small split shot about 12 to 18 inches above the hook, extra large fatheads. Put it on the bottom, move it around, but not much.

But what do I know. I only caught 75 of them in one outing one time in Montgomery. But I cheated. How is between me and a guy I used to fish with often.

Besides, wet socks pulled off the bottom of the river put up a better fight.

You see, all you had to do was ask. :D :D

I may have to send this to Dale, pretty good walleye fishing prospects report if I do say so myself.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Special Ed
Poop Ninja
Type in the middle number (1118): 630

Post by Special Ed »

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of fishing daylight hours during the week, so night missions will have to suffice. This is a huge help though, and greatly appreciated.

I wanted to start further North up to the dam, but I have never fished up to S. Elgin dam before and was unsure on depth. Put unfamiliar people in front of an unfamiliar dam at night and you are asking for a police blotter.

Next week will likely be Geneva. I'll stick to artificials, but will bring a minnow bucket in case anyone needs that "crutch". ( :lol: )

Even if you did send that to Dale, I think maybe only 3 people will actually try to do what you laid out. The funny thing is those three people are probably reading this right now as well..... :D

Millhurst..... sounds familiar.... 8-)

Bet we could park here:

It's not about the fight for me, if it was I would be wading steelhead creeks.... It's the fish "in season" right now, it's local, they are notoriously picky and finicky which makes them a worthy adversary, and I just love the big ole' fat girls this time of the year. There is something special about a rare fish like that with a thick gut when it comes out of the cold water.

Maybe I'm just a fish geek.....
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

Make sure you're sending Dale the link to your blog. A good story is a good story.

I was reading through my own archives the other day and came across a comment from 7 or 8 years ago. How in October fishermen disappear from the river even though this could be the best time to be out there. Especially now that the river is at it's lowest in 4 years.

Nobody will go to any of the spots I outlined. I believe I point that out in one of my "Internet Myths" up on this site somewhere.

With rain over the weekend things could improve dramatically if it's not a lot, or get completely blown out. I don't foresee a blow out, but you never know. It would be nice to see one report of white bass turning on, usually happens after a rain. It's been years since I've seen that.

As for Millhurst, once upon a time a river geek introduced himself to the husband/wife owners of an old limestone converted mill. Permission was granted to this geek to park wherever he wanted on the property to make his life easier to get to prime fishing spots. After partaking in this kind offering a few times, life changed for the geek and he never went back, that route anyway. The geek never did take the time for re-introductions, just turned other access routes into adventures.

Only I can't find the damn link to it on my own damn site. :( :(

Maybe I never posted it. :o :o

At least I found the pictures. Over 30 of them. Has something to do with Kendall County Forest Preserve Property.

Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
ThunderStick

Post by ThunderStick »

Ken G wrote: As for Millhurst, once upon a time a river geek introduced himself to the husband/wife owners of an old limestone converted mill. Permission was granted to this geek to park wherever he wanted on the property to make his life easier to get to prime fishing spots. After partaking in this kind offering a few times, life changed for the geek and he never went back, that route anyway. The geek never did take the time for re-introductions, just turned other access routes into adventures.
[/img]
I think I remember that. You or someone who shall not be named posted some pics.
ThunderStick aka Paul