Mazon River Spillway Vandals

Mazon, Vermillion, Illinois, Rock, Galena, Apple, Kish, Mississippi and everything that flows into them. If any one gets more posts than the others, I'll give it it's own forum.
Frank Macikas

Mazon River Spillway Vandals

Post by Frank Macikas »

Fished the Mazon this morning getting on the water around 6am; parked on White Tie Rd on the river side right next to the trail leading to the spillway (which as far as I know has no "No Trespassing". I got done fishing and came back to my car about noon to find a flat tire. I couldn't find a puncture until I got home (driving on a spare). When I got home I filled up the tire to find about a clean gash about 1" long in the sidewall that looks suspiciously like a small knife puncture. Now I have just heard about happening to people parking at other areas and I have fished here a few times now with no problems until today. WTF is wrong with people that think its they own a river and nobody else should be able enjoy it. Now I understand that there are A-holes out there that leave trash where they fish but that does not give anyone the right to damage someone elses property. I thought about calling the Sheriff but did not for 2 reasons; first I thought someone let the air out at first because I could not see the puncture until I filled the tire and second is could or would they really do anything about it? The answer the way I see it is no.
ThunderStick

Re: Mazon River Spillway Vandals

Post by ThunderStick »

I would call the cops so at least they are aware of the problem and could, hopefully, keep a closer eye on things. I know, wishful thinking.
ThunderStick aka Paul
Frank Macikas

Post by Frank Macikas »

I called this morning but need to file in person. I am going to try to make it there this week before I head out of town on Thursday. I wish I would have done it right away but really wasnt sure what the deal was. Hopefully by letting the sheriff know this wont happen to anyone else. Ken warned me about the McCardle bridge but I have fished here a few times with no problems.
Ken G
antispam: No
Type in the middle number (1118): 1118

Post by Ken G »

Sent this link on to Dale with a note blasting small town hospitality. I don't think he'll touch the subject, but you never know.

Assholes are everywhere. I've been told I've been lucky all these years that I've been untouched at the places I go and park. Shouldn't have to rely on luck.
Ken G
Stand still like the hummingbird.
http://www.waterdogjournal.com
http://kengortowski.com
Frank Macikas

Post by Frank Macikas »

I had it included in my Dupage report to Dale this week (or lack thereof) but thought the same thing and took it out.
Ed79

Post by Ed79 »

I've had this happen to me with my truck siting in my driveway. It is hard to determine if it is someone trying to "send you a message" about fishing there, or just some punks. Sometimes, punks are just punks. I wouldn't doubt it was some jackass kids riding by on their bikes that thought it would be funny to slash a tire. Next time I head to the Mazon, I'll sit in my trailblazer in the back seat with the tinted windows, send my brother down to the river, and wait to see if anyone comes by.